Saturday, November 5, 2011

Veggie Stew

So doing campus ministry, Chris and I work a lot at night. Hence, I don't have much time to cook. So, I'd been trying to think of something that would give us a big quantity but would reheat well. I ended up concocting this "soup" (it's actually super thick).

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
2 cans diced tomatoes (undrained)
1 little can sliced mushrooms (drained)
2-3 zucchini/squash chopped
Bag of frozen mixed vegetables (I think mine was about 18oz.; mine had lima beans, peas, green beans, corn, and carrots)
Tomato juice (regular size juice container)
1 or 1.5 cup dry Macaroni pasta (I used whole grain)

Directions:
- brown ground beef with whatever seasonings you want, then drain the fat
- place ground beef, canned tomatoes, mushrooms, squash/zucchini, mixed vegetables in a large pot
- pour about half a normal container of tomato juice and then the rest water until the liquid covers about 1 or 2 inches above all the ingredients (or more depending on how thick you want the soup to be)
- Put seasonings on top (I just put italian seasons, tony chacheres, and pepper)
- Stir everything together
- Cook covered boiling until squash/zucchini are cooked through (I think I let it boil about 20-30 minutes)
- Put in the dry macaroni, and cook covered til macaroni is done (my box of pasta called for 6 minutes, but it took a little longer because the soup is so thick)

It's great with cheese on top and crackers! You could easily take things out or add whatever you wanted. I've already made it twice. It did great reheating on the stove or microwave with a little bit of added water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.